These recipes, I gathered together one morning . I typed and printed out to bring to my mom’s house for the Visiting Angel lady to cook. I put this in the plastic binder pages. She choose the first recipe to cook that day. The recipes from the “Keep it simple collection of the U.K. ” are easy, quick and taste delicious with just a few ingredients.
Quick Fish Supper ( pg 48)
2 servings 260 calories per serving
6 oz (18 g) cod or haddock fillets
½ bay leaf 2 slices lemon
4 oz ( 120 g) cauliflower florets
4 oz ( 120 g) courgettes, sliced
4 0z ( 120 g) leeks sliced
3 0z ( 90 g) carrots sliced Salt 2 0z
( 60 g Cheddar or double Gloucester cheese, grated
1 oz ( 30 g) fresh breadcrumbs
Pinch of mixed herbs
1 medium tomato sliced
1) Place the fish in a pan, cover with cold water, add the bay leaf and lemon. Poach gently for 5-10 minutes until cooked . Drain the fish, remove and discard the skin, flake the fish.
2) 2. Plunge the cauliflower, courgettes , leeks and carrots in boiling , salted water . Boil for 8 – 10 minutes until just cooked, drain.
3) Mix together the hot , flaked fish and vegetables, transfer to a flame-proof dish.
4). Stir together the cheese, breadcrumbs and herbs, sprinkle over the fish and vegetables. Cook under a preheated grill until beginning to brown . Arrange the tomato slices on top of the breadcrumbs and grill for a further 2 minutes. Exchanges per serving: 3 ½ protein 3 Vegetable ½ bread
Recipe: Cod in a Parcel
Serves 2 130 calories per serving
10 0z (300g) Cod fillet
3 Tablespoons chopped dill
2 Tablespoons chopped spring onions
1 Tablespoons soy sauce
½ clove garlic crushed
2 sprigs of dill
1) Cut a piece of baking parchment big enough to enclose the Cod, lay it on a baking sheet.
2) Sprinkle half the dill and spring onions over the center of the parchment, lay the cod fillet on top.
3) Mix the soy sauce and garlic together then pour over the cod and sprinkle with the remaining dill and spring onions.
4) Fold over the parchment to completely enclose the fillet and bake at 350 degrees F, (180 degrees C.) for 25 to 35 minutes.
5) Carefully unwrap the parchment and check the fish is cooked , it should flake easily when tested with a fork . Cut the cod fillet in half and transfer to a warm serving plate. Garnish with the sprigs of dill.
Exchanges per serving: 4 protein , ½ vegetable.
Fish and Pasta Surprise
Serves 2 435 calories per serving 2 x 4 oz (120g) Finnan Haddock
1 medium can chopped tomatoes ( 14 oz/397 g)
½ small onion thinly sliced
2 oz ( 60 g) sliced 6 oz (180 g) broccoli, cooked
6 0z (180g) drained canned sweetcorn 6 0z(180 g) cooked macaroni hot
2 oz (60g) hard cheese, grated
Salt and pepper
1) Place the haddock in an ovenproof casserole and spoon the tomatoes over the fish
.2) Arrange the onions, mushrooms, broccoli, and sweetcorn in layers over the tomatoes.
3) 3) Mix the macaroni and cheese together and spread evenly on top of the vegetables , season with a little salt and pepper.
4) Cover and cook at 350 degrees F. ,( 180 degrees C, Gas 4 ) for 30 -45 minutes .
Exchanges per serving: 4 Protein, 4 Vegetable 2 Bread
Recipes: Simply the Best From the Keep it Simple collection , Published 1990 by Weight Watchers ( U.K.) Ltd.