On a cooler, rainy day, what is better to warm you up then a nice, hot bowl of soup. When September brings you cooler temperatures, and all you want to do is to curl up on the sofa under a blanket and read a book. But, first have a bowl of soup.
Rainy Day Soup
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 can (46 ounces) V8 juice
- 1 jar (16 ounces) thick and chunky salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until the vegetables and barley are tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup (prepared with ground turkey breast and low-sodium broth and V-8) equals 196 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 703 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1 lean meat.
Note: You can halve this recipe to make 6 servings.
1/2 pound gr turkey., 8 oz salsa, 23 oz v-8 juice, 8 oz of beans, etc. Buying one of those packages of shredded cabbage speeds up the process.
I always have on hand, cans of chicken broth, beans, potatoes, barley and lentils ( for another soup).