ALL THINGS BLUEBERRY:
My favorite time of the year is summer, when blueberries are at their peak. In the summer, I like to freeze several containers of blueberries to add to pancake batter all winter long. I have quite a collection of Blue berry recipes. I plan to include more recipes here. ( Pineapple-Glazed Banana Blueberry Muffins, Uncovered Blueberry pie, Blue Ribbon, Blueberry jam )
BLUEBERRY BUCKLE CAKE
Ingredients: serves 12
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1/8 tsp salt
2 egg whites
1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 TBSP unsweetened applesauce (or use 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk and skip the applesauce)
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 TBSP butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 x 8 x 2 baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. Combine all ingredients through the salt in a small bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Mix in the buttermilk, applesauce and the 1 tsp lemon juice until blended.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and blend well. Stir in the rinsed or thawed blueberries.
5. Spread the batter in the pan. Bake 30 or so minutes , or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Just before the bread is done, prepare the glaze.
6. In a small saucepan, melt the butter, 1/4 cup sugar and the TBS lemon juice. Cook and stir over low heat until the mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat.
7. When the cake tests done, pour the glaze over top. Return the glazed bread to the oven and broil 3 inches from the heat for 1 – 2 minutes or until the glaze bubbles. Watch carefully to avoid overbrowning.
Fat: 2.4 gram
Carbohydrates: 27.6 g
Protein:3.1 g Nutrition information provided by www.Sparkrecipes.com
Recipe adapted from Healthy Homestyle Dessert by Evelyn Tribole
reposted from: a2eatwrite.blogspot.com
BLUEBERRY- CORN GRIDDLE CAKES from T.V. show Christina Cooks
1 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill yellow cornmeal
generous pinch sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
zest of one lemon
1 tsp brown rice vinegar
light olive oil
1-2 cups Pearl Creamy Vanilla Soymilk
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, sorted, rinsed well
Suzanne’s Specialties Blueberry Rice Nectar ( or substitute your own favorite blueberry syrup.
Whisk together flour, cornmeal, salt and baking powder. Mix in lemon zest, rice vinegar and 2 Tablespoons oil.
Slowly mix in soymilk to create a thin batter. Fold in blueberries.
Lightly oil ( with olive oil) to a griddle or skillet and warm over medium heat.
Spoon batter onto hot griddle to form 3 -inch rounds and cook until golden. Flip each pancake and cook until golden.
Serve smothered in blueberry rice syrup.
Makes about 24 pancakes.