Let’s use the heritage of Mexico for dinner at home on Mexican Independence day:
On May 5th is the celebration of Cinco de Mayo is celebrated here in the United States, mostly in the Mexican themed restaurants and bars but you can celebrate at home as well.
First a beverage,
3 ounces tomato juice
1 teaspoon grenadine syrup (or less to taste)
Juice of half lime or lemon
1 ounce of orange juice
Tabasco (see note
1. Combine the tomato juice. grenadine, lime, and orange juices, and salt and Tobasco sauce to taste. Add ice cubes and shake rapidly.
2. Strain the mixture into a glass and serve the tequila on the side. It is drunk in Mexico by sipping the tomato mixture alternately with the Tequila. Many non- Mexicans prefer to add the tequila to the tomato mixture before shaking the cocktail . Serve with the lime wedges and additional salt.
Note: Tobasco sauce is a Yankee addition to this recipe. In Mexico, small, hot, chopped green serrano chiles are used as the fiery seasoning. A genuine sangrita is highly spiced.
Tostados with Cheese
Heat lard or oil in a skillet and deep-fry six tortillas until crisp and golden brown on both sides.
Drain and serve hot, topped with chili con carne, grated cheddar cheese, chopped onions, and shredded iceberg lettuce. Serve as an appetizer.
Recipes for Sangrita and Tostados with cheese :
Craig Claiborne’ s New York Times International Cook Book
Recipe for Chili Con Carne : 😉
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes with liquid, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine onion, garlic, and tomato paste. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in butter until melted. Stir in flour, oregano, cumin, chili powder, tomatoes and beef. Cook uncovered for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the beans and cook for another 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Salt and pepper to taste.